Subject: Re: [Leica] asked for ID?
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:52:03 EST

In a message dated 1/31/00 3:16:25 PM, locke@straylight.ca writes:

>I have learned long ago that there is no point in arguing law with a police
officer. It's not in his job discription. ...You are not doing yourself any
favours
by pissing off a cop. You will never win.

A sort of funny thing happened to me recently. I was doing a story on a
start-up airline trying to get FAA approval to operate from an airport in our
area (they're bringing back the Ozark Air Lines name). I'm shooting photos of
the pilot doing his "walk-around" out on the runway. I'm standing back a bit,
shooting with the 180mm. The company CEO is standing no more than 40 feet
from me preoccupied talking to someone else. All of sudden this cop is in my
face asking me who I was, what am I doing and who gave me permission (yadda,
yadda). Now you've got to understand that this is a SMALL airport. The only
airline operating there so far is a commuter line flying turbo props. When
passengers arrive they climb out of the planes on the tarmac and walk to the
terminal. I see one of these planes arrive but I don't think it's any big
deal. Well according to this cop it's like the end of the world that I'm out
there while this plane is coming in. I smile and apologize and explain what
I'm doing. Seemingly disappointed that I'm not going to give him any grief he
huffs something about being more careful, gets back into his cop SUV and
drives off.

Jump forward a week later. I'm back at the airport shooting some more pics. I
get done and start to walk back to my car which is parked at the general
aviation hanger (that's where I met the Ozark owner). I'm walking along the
edge of the Tarmac when the SAME cop storms out of his office and yelling
something about "I thought I told you . . ."

I start laughing and explain that I really am not TRYING to get sideways with
the guy. I explain what I'm doing, where I'm parked and why and we both ended
up seeing the humor in the situation -- although he's still lecturing me the
whole while.

I had permission to be where I was. I wasn't hurting anyone. I wasn't in
danger. I wasn't in the way. But still, this cop had to take his job VERY
seriously. It was actually pretty funny at the time but  now that I've typed
it, it doesn't seem like much. But since I've put all this effort into it I'm
not about to delete it unsent . . .

Bob (smile as cops, it confuses them) McEowen