Subject: Re: [Leica] 28mm f2.8 Elmarit-R: new vs old.
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <yaojkfdr@netvigator.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 14:04:05 +0800

Dear TM,

> Can U tell me how to differentiate between the 2 ? I see some in the 2nd
> hand shops.....

The early verion has a removable lens hood which also has a little knob
for rotating a polarizing filter, should you use one.  The latest
version has a built-in telescopic hood and takes E55 filters.

Optically, the second version is significantly superior, especially at
f/2.8 and f/4.0.  FWIW, while the Elmarit-M 28/2.8 is regarded as the
bench mark of 28mm lenses, I actually find the Elmarit-R 28/2.8 even
superior.

Hope this helps....

Best regards,

Joseph