Subject: [Leica] Vancouver LUG meeting
From: "Noel H. Charchuk" <nhcharch@calcna.ab.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 09:34:16 -0700 (MST)

Thursday night I finally had an opportunity to meet Tom Abrahamsson, and
his lovely wife Tuulikki face to face. Ted Grant travelled over from
Victoria to be there as well. Another non Lug Leica fan, Gary
Blakeley, joined in on the festivities.
Conversations centered around Leicas and the LUG. of course. An excellent
start to the meet was Ted's Lagulivin single malt, just enough to loosen
the tongues :) Tom has a sushi restaurant in his building, where an
excellent meal and more tales were shared.
I had a copy of a book Ted did back in 1971, "Men of the Saddle" a study
of working cowboys, mostly shot very close to where I live. Ted shared
many tales about the photographs and his experiences while shooting them,
that make the book priceless to me now.
One tale that I will leave Ted to expound upon, is whether his choice of
lens cleaning material began before or after his underwear was died purple
:)
It was such a pleasure to look over some of Tom's Rapidwinders, and see
them used by someone that knows how to use them. Tom also had the range of
Voigtlander/Cosina thread mount lenses to check out. Very well made, they
reminded me of the Pentax Takumar screw mount lenses construction, but
somewhat lighter. I suspect there will be a good market of these in a few
years when the electronics of the Voigtlander cameras give up the ghost,
and then we will see even more of a resurgence of LTM body prices.

It was great to finally meet face to face, and talk to people you already
know so much about from the LUG.

Should any of you plan to travel to British Columbia, I recommend you try
get together. Any one going through Calgary to visit Banff and Lake
Louise, please contact me, as I would love to meet you, and do a bit of
guiding, if my schedule permits. If I can't take you there, I have a bit
of a guide package I can give you, so you can find the photographic
opportunities you are looking for.

Regards
Noel Charchuk
Calgary