Subject: [Leica] Summicron Radioactive elements - LHSA Viefinder
From: MGMcGough@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:24:46 EST

  The LHSA VF article by Bill Gordon was a follow up on the findings by Dr.
  Cyril Blood of the British LHS.  Gordons test of the half dozen Summicrons
  with S/Ns under 1,000,000 showed that the average front element emitted
  1.5 miliroengtens and if laid front down on an unexposed piece of film,
  would leave a dark circle after about one week.  This is far less radio-
  activity then the radium dial wrist-watches of the past.  I dont mean the
  calcium disulfide luminous type but the radium dial Omegas & Rolexs.

  For many years, the Leitz management denied using radioactive thorium
  but when confronted with the actual findings, finally admitted to it, along
  with many more lens manufacturers, but the Leica pre-1M are the most
  famous and command a premium price today even though the yellowish
  brown tint of the lenses will discolor chrome films.

  Frau Doktor Mary Grace McGough