Subject: Re: [Leica] automated m camera, again
From: John <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:52:48 +0000

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Guy Bennett wrote:
> >
> > peter k and the two bobs (b and m):
> >
> > your semi-automated m-mount camera already exists: the konica hexar. it
> > boasts many of the features you all have mentioned as desirable in your
> > various posts. granted, it was not made by leica, but to a user, not a
> > collector, this should not matter. it mounts leica lenses, as peter had
> > required in his earlier posts, and is semi-automated, as both bobs have
> > called for in theirs. it doesn't (yet?) have auto focus, but as bob b. has
> > mentioned, he already has a g2 that does, and there's no reason to believe
> > that konica won't consider an af hexar in the future (isn't the 'classic'
> > hexar af?).
> >
> > so what's the point in yammering for an automated leica m? leica may one
> > day produce it, or not. since it is already possible to use leica glass on
> > an automated body (if that is the point), isn't this a moot question? or is
> > it for some reason imperative that leica themselves produce an automated m
> > camera?
> ><big Snip>
> > guy
> I agree with you on your every point in this post, Guy.
> And for Leica to come out with a camera like that they might as well have Konica
> or Cosina or Fuji do it.
> Leica is a small company whose expertise is not along these high tech miniature lines.
> The R8 does not have these considerations any more than the M line.
> Luckily they continue with the same vein with the M line and that is the stuff
> which I use.
> And I'm happy with the M camera.
> I don't pick it up and shoot with it and think "I wish this or that feature were
> added to this camera"
> The camera in my hands feels like a perfect realization of a long fluid design
> and use process.
> It just has the feeling of perfection in it and I wonder how people could own it
> and use it to any extent and not feel that.
> Mark Rabiner
Well, as a Leica user, I basically agree that I would like to see the M-6
remain fundamentally unchanged, but it is not out of character for Leica to
produce joint venture cameras of high quality that provide some features not
found on the M.  A camera that can use M lenses that is a little less
expensive and  have at least an ae option would be a good accompaniment to my
Ms.  As far as the Ms go I wish Leica would fix the view finder so we who ware
glasses can see the entire frame of the shortest lens line provided.  I can
almost do the M3 but forget the 28 on the M4p, I just can't see anywhere near
the whole frame.  In all due respect to the diaptor adjustment crowd, I don't
like constantly removing and replacing my glasses to look through the camera,
this is nothing more than a quick fix of little real world value to a myopic
soul.  It seems to me those clever engineers at Leica could fix this little
problem without compromising the camera quality, function or feel.
John
BTW my spell check keeps wanting to change Leica to leech, is it trying to
tell me something?