Subject: Re: [Leica] Things that BUG me
From: John <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:25:18 -0500

Mike Johnston wrote:

> stubbornly offering well-made manual cameras with fantastic lenses, did
> it?
>
> guy<<<
>
> ...And by offering the "King Bomiphol" edition, the Jaguar edition, the
> Columbo, the "Ein Stuck," the M6J, a coat of black paint for more than
> the cost of an N90s, lotsa gold-plated stuff, yatta yatta
> yatta..."stubbornly" catering to a tiny group of well-heeled collectors
> around the world...?
>
> Point being that sometimes the users do seem like a bit of an
> afterthought. I think it's valid for users to talk about their
> experiences using the camera and suggesting how it might be made to
> better serve their needs. That's why we got one with a meter in it in
> 1984, after all, and why we have a regular production .85x version, and
> so forth. (Although who exactly was asking for one with TTL is still a
> bit of a mystery to me. No flames, please. <s>)
>
> I for one would like it to have a better dust seal. Did I ever mention
> how one time a BUG crawled into my M6 and got trapped against the film
> rail, showing up as a huge silhouette at the top of the frame in a
> family group shot? My relatives loved that. Er, NOT.
>
> Designs can become mature, but never perfect.
>
> Never as simple as ya want it to be, is it?  ;-)
>
> --Mike
I wonder just how many Leica users even know who King Bomiphol is?  It may be
interesting to know that the man was and still is, I presume, and avid
photographer and sometime Leica user. A very interesting man and an extremely
popular and adored monarch who defines the meaning of leadership in a
constitutional monarchy.  King Bomiphol better known as Rama 9, just
celebrated his 72 birthday thus the reason for the collectable Leica for the
well heeled.  Thai measure their important points in life in twelve, hence his
72ed birthday is his sixth cycle, something very important in that part of the
world.  By the way, Bomiohol is also a citizen of the U. S. unless or until he
renounces his US citizenship as he was born here in Cambridge, Ma.  Oh well,
sorry for the off subject post.  At least he used Leicas and is a
knowledgeable photographer.  I think Leica should have a Bill Clinton leaving
office commemorative.:-)
John