Subject: Re: [Leica] was:Ted Grant's Ravings, Ted responds :)
From: Jeffcoat Photography <jeffcoatphoto@sumter.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:23:31 -0500

Well Ted you said just about what I was thinking (some of it anyway ) Very nicely
put, thank you
. I really think there is a place and in a lot of cases a need for both the
manual and the automated. Learning to use one of those auto everything computers
with a lens can be a challenge, but knowing when and how to use it can be an even
bigger challenge. They often require as much pre thought ( or more ) than some of
the manual units. There is nothing more frustrating than missing a shot because
the da-n thing wouldn't lock the focus as it didn't see enough contrast in the
subject to lock on.  That's not the cameras fault, it was mine as I didn't
realize how the focus worked (dumb me). Bottom line ( as I see it ) is that
neither of the systems is ( in this time ) an answer in and of it's self. Would I
like to see an "M" (what ever) that had aperture and shutter priority modes
allowing me to concentrate on comp and focus ""***YES***"". Maybe it's age, I
don't know- but I don't feel we should turn away from advancements because of the
romantic notion that the old way is the only way. Wood working is a hobby I
pursue and in that vain I ( along with a lot of others-this is another can of
worms)  feel those wonderful Shakers would have used power tools had they been
available in their day.
Cheers Wilber GFE
BTW over the years I've noticed that for the most part the client (for those of
you who do this for a living) could really care less what you shoot with as long
as the image is as needed and the price is right.