Subject: Re: [Leica] A trip to Paris
From: lbonser@worldnet.att.net
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 21:24:27 -0800

>>> Carry all your film (raw and cooked) in your carry-on bag. The plastic
bags
>>> are a good idea, and while you can always ask for a hand check, outside
the U.S.
>>> you aren't entitled to it and aren't likely to get one <<
>
>Have you tried putting your film in the lead-lined film bags?  I tried it
once
>here in the States.  I put the bag in my carry-on and didn't bother to have
it
>hand-inspected.  When my bag went thru the machine, the inspector had me
pull
>out the film bag and he inspected its contents.  He said the x-ray machine
>couldn't see what's in it.  It effectively forced a hand-inspection.

I've heard stories about inspectors that just crank up the machine until it
does penetrate the lead-lined film bag, really cooking your film. Has anyone
else heard about this--Is this true? Sounds a little like an urban legend to
me, but you never know.

>From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
>
>I haven't used those in years. I just carry film in Tupperware square tubs,
>ask for a hand-check and hope for the best. With all the thieves hanging
out
>at airport security checkpoints, I try to get through them as quickly as
>possible so that my camera bag doesn't wind up isolated on the other side
of
>the x-ray machine while I'm haggling over the film. Using the lead bags
>overseas won't necessarily result in "forcing" a hand check---the operator
>may simply crank up the power on the unit sufficient to "see" the bag's
>contents, and that may not be good for the film.

Ah, if only I'd have read a little further in the digest! So, someone else
has heard this same story.

Some posts in this thread discussed whether to send the film home. The
National Geographic web site talks about how the NG photographers split
their film, send half of it home in one box and the other half (every other
roll) in another box. I'm wondering how they ship? Fed-Ex? UPS? Since all
that stuff flys at some point, I'd guess they're all x-rayed at various
airports.

I'm not planning any foreign trips soon, but someday hope to travel to
England, Ireland, and Scotland. My plan is to shot color in digital, but I
shoot most of my stuff in B&W. How about this: take a small development kit
with you and soup the negatives in your hotel room each night. Buy the film
as you go and the chemicals also. Most of the chemicals can be used as
one-shot and you end up just bringing back the developed negatives. A
chaning bag, one or two stainless steel reels, and a one or two roll
developing tank couldn't take that much room in the luggage. Simply buy a
couple cheap plastic mixing jars at the local grocery/pharmacy.

Any opinions on this method?

Another thought is to hook up with local camera clubs with darkroom
facilities or for recommendations on where to get your film developed.

How big of a problem is this? Maybe there's a business opportunity here.
Specialized delivery service for film worldwide....

Thanks for listening!

Later,

Les