Subject: Re: [Leica] The World Wide Value of the Leica Name
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 02:50:50 GMT

I think the difference between Porche and Leica is that Porche makes a
product that is recognized by the majority of the western world as a
prestige product.  Therefore the name generates powerful brand identity. The
Leica brand is primarily recognized by camera buffs.  While there certainly
is tremendous good will attached to the Leica brand within the photographic
community, on the outside the name means little or nothing.

Leica's best bet for a fast turnaround is to recapture market share in the
camera business.  Price, product and promotion are the only cures.

They have, for the most part, the product.  Now they need the price and
promotion to fall into line.  It is becomming harder and harder to be a high
margin manufacturer.  Leica needs to move toward higher volume
manufacturing/sales.  I believe this is where they are headed, and I am
hopeful for their future.

Best Wishes and my thanks also for your informative web site!
Dan States