Subject: [Leica] R8 motordrive report (part 1)
From: Pascal <cyberdog@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 14:49:52 +0100

It seems there is trouble with my email to this list today... I tried to
send this report six times now and it never made it to the list, maybe
because it's too long. So I have split it up in two parts. I hope this
works !

- ---------

I have tried out the new R8 motordrive over the weekend and these are my
first impressions.

Facts and description
- --------

The set comes in two boxes, one that contains the motordrive (14313) and
one that contains the accu with charger (14424). The charger comes with
two plugs, one for use in a car and the other a country-specific mains
cord (there are 4 different versions depending on where you buy the
package - you can easily switch mains cords as they are plug-in). A pity
Leica did not include the 4 different cords from the outset as many
people will sooner or later need it (especially professionals or
tourists). I doubt whether this would have made a difference in the final
sales price. However, you have the option of ordering extra cords from
Leica (or anyone else that makes standard cords) if and when you need
them.

The motordrive weighs 430 gr or 680 gr including the accu. Size: 157x38
(124.5 with handgrip) x89mm. On the left side (seen from behind the
camera) there is a double switch: one for speed (single shot, CL 2 fps,
CH 4.5 fps) and one for the automatic exposure bracketing (with
variations between 0.5 and 1.0 EV). Personally, the latter does not
interest me that much. I always try to be on target from the first time
:-) but it may be handy under some tricky lighting circumstances.

The motordrive integrates well on the R8. It is made of the same material
and has the same quality finish. It (obviously) feels more solid than the
winder. Putting it on the R8 didn't reveal any problem at all, just a
question of making sure the sprockets are well aligned and turning the
single attachment screw. Done in 5 seconds, and your R8 becomes like a
machine gun ready for action... ;-) Nice job, Leica.

At the back, the motor is protruding about 2 cm. which corresponds to the
size of the accu. It gives the camera a good balance.

There are two release buttons on the motordrive (plus the one on top of
the R8), one for horizontal and one for vertical use. See further below
for comments.
Too bad the buttons are in silver-white color. On the first R8 prototype
motor they were in black paint which was much more stylish than the
silver-white which I find rather disturbing, esthetically speaking. The
ratio that silver-white would render the buttons more visible raises
serious questions on the abilities of the photographer, as a typical user
would rather "feel" where the buttons are and not have to actually go
looking for them...

The integrated handgrip is more profiled than the one provided with the
winder (which is basically the same as the R8 body). It's easier to hold
the combination which is a necessity due to the heavier nature of the
package. Plus there is a leather strap that you can remove (see further
below for comment).

The accu consists of 8 NiMH cells and has a 1500 mAh capacity. Leica
quotes over 100 films of 36 exposures at 20° C (including automatic
rewinding) and over 40 films under the same conditions at -20° C. Weight:
250 gr. Size: 132x43x43mm. The accu lasts for at least 500
discharge/charge cycles when used properly. You have always to discharge
the accu before charging it. This is done by pushing a special button on
the charger. After discharging, the unit automatically switches to
charging (while discharging a red LED blinks). There is a protection
against overcharging. Charging should take up to 1h 42min at the maximum,
according to Leica (double with the car adaptor). Another LUG member has
pointed out to me that this took double on his unit. I can't tell how
long it took in my case since I switched the unit on and went to bed...
But maybe discharging/charging time will reduce once the battery becomes
fully conditioned (instead of being "fresh" out of the box).
The capacity of the accu can be viewed upon pressing a button on the back
(there are three red LED's). The button is recessed to avoid
inadvertently switching it on. The normal battery control on the R8 body
works as well.

The charger is for worldwide use, AC 90-260V, 50-60 Hz, and DC 12 or 24V.
It weighs 495 gr. inclusive of the European style mains cord. It comes in
two parts: the charger unit itself (sizes: 150x80x63mm) to which a
craddle is attached in which you put the accu (size: 130x60x43mm).
The charger package is quite large, so you would want to avoid schlepping
it around on a typical travel via plane or train where you can use the
spare place for more useful items. On the other hand, at over 100 films
per charge, a single charge should take most typical users through a trip
without problems, and one could always carry the normal R8 battery grip
for just in case (a precaution that you should take in any case, motor or
winder !).

Finally, as with the winder, you can switch on the R8 electric remote
release.

See my photo pages at http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
"Never ask a man what sort of computer he drives. If he's a Mac user
he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
- --Tom Clancy