Subject: [Leica] Re: dopey M's and holding your breath
From: Rob Schneider-Laura Tully <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:38:59 -0500

> So in yer case Rob we're going to let you post a special "for sale" item
> any moment you wish to alleviate your immense frustration due to the
> machine the rest of us hold so dearly to our hearts! :):)
>
> So what say you Rob? Ready to sell them off?
>
> We're all holding our breathe for your answer. :)
>
> ted

Ted, Ted! STOP!  You don't look good in blue!

A little over a year ago I sold off my Nikon SLR gear to buy a second M6 and
a 75 Summilux.  I had stopped using the Nikon and was using my M6 for
everything.  I got the second camera thinking I would use one for color and
one for B&W.  After this summer I stopped shooting color.  So now I have one
M6 that I use for day-to-day walking around record shots, street
photography, gotta have a camera with me (it's also the camera I drop from
time to time -- like yesterday).  The other one tends to have the 75 (and
now a Rapidwinder -- Thanks again, Bob Keene!) locked to it.  I use that
primarily for the informal portraits I shoot commercially.  And to fill more
shoe boxes with pix of my son.

I added an R, Winder-R, and 90 Summicron-R recently for head shots, because
I like the big finder image and focusing accuracy of an SLR with tele
lenses.  But I'm so used to the M6 at this point that the mirror blackout
still bugs me.

IOW, I'm a dedicated Leica USER.  Like you, I don't want the M6 to be
anything other than what it is.  I knew what it was when I bought it, and
wanted it specifically for the features it offers, not so that I could wish
that it was something else.

If I really wanted an EOS1n, I'd buy one.  (Oh, that's right, I did that.
Didn't like it and took it back!).  As I've said here before, I figured out
the kind of photography I wanted to do (and the kind that I didn't want to
do) and found the camera that would do the job FOR ME.  I encourage others
to do the same, instead of wishing their cameras were something other than
what they are.

And like you, Ted, I stand ready to offer fire sale prices to anyone who
wants to sell his M's and lenses because he can't stand the frustration of
using such antiquated and impractical gear.

I WON'T hold my breath.

Cheers,
Rob Schneider