Subject: [Leica] A trip to Paris
From: "Rod Fleming" <rodfleming@sol.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 13:02:52 -0000

Hi

John Codispoti wrote

>When I asked the maître if he had a room, he replied:
>" Oui monsieur, pour la nuit ou pour l' aprèmidi ?"
>We stayed elsewhere

Why on earth did you do that? Don't you know that it's quite normal for
hotels in France to rent rooms for the afternoon? (And I personally have
profited from this most civilised arrangement.)The maitre was just being
polite! Good Lord- this is Paris we're talking about!

Anyway, Bob, Paris is a great city, you'll love it. But be warned that it
can be surprisingly chilly in March, (actually it can be downright freezing)
so take appropriate clothing.

When I go to Paris I usually stay with an old friend, so I can't offer help
on the hotels. There are plenty of cheap comfortable chain hotels like
Novotel, but for me the charm of the French hotel is best expressed in small
establishments (probably like the one that upset John). You never know what
surprises you'll get.

France has changed a lot over the last 25 years, and I'm sure French LUGgers
will forgive me when I say that I miss the charm of "old France" which has
largely disappeared. Being as I'm a crazy  Anglo-Saxon, they'll understand
that these things attract me, even if they are not exactly "comme il faut."
But for me there is something especially  nice about the traditional, small
French Hotel, with excellent food, paper-thin walls and antiquated plumbing.

I remember a long time ago travelling through France and staying in an
old-fashioned provincial Pension- those familar with French building will
know how thin the walls are in those establishments. Anyway, somewhere on
the premises was a couple who were preoccupied with celebrating their
passion, noisily, and regularly, throughout the night. The next morning at
breakfast presented a droll scene as all the guests checked each other out
over their coffee cups as they tried to work out who had kept them awake all
night!

Somehow Novotels just don't have that extra sparkle.

Anyway, Bob, if the French LUGgers don't help out, try this link

http://www.tte.ch/France/index.html

see if that leads you anywhere helpful. Remember that you will nearly always
get a better deal at a hotel  by phoning or going in person than will be
advertised on a website. (Applies to Europe generally.)

Best

Rod