Subject: Re: [Leica] Bela Bartok.
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 20:44:15 -0800

From: Pitak Chenkosol <pitakc@ee.pdx.edu>
> Dear Bob,
>
> I like the Roumanian Folk Dance, BB76 for orchestra. Actually that is
> what I am listening while I am typing this. A friend of mine who was
> a former lead clarinetist of the Oregon Youth Philharmonic Orchestra
> loaned me a tape. Bartok? Yes, count me in.
>
> Regards,
>
> PC
> >
> > I just got out of the darkroom and I am sitting here listening to
Bartok.  I
> > wonder how many LUGGERS could accept music from such an abstract
composer?

Bartok?  Abstract?  Not at all.

Having borrowed heavily from folksongs of his native Hungary, his
compositions are hardly abstract, albeit atonality and dissonants may
startle many audience.

I do love his compositions, though.  Having played many pieces from
Mikrokosmos when I started learning piano at 4, I have had constant
affinity to his pieces.  Several years ago, while in NY, my piano duo
partner and I hired a couple of doctrate music students at Juilliard to
perform the said composer's Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussions.  What
a rush it was.

To make this more or less on topic, I will mention that I often hum
sections of music while working in the darkroom printing negatives
exposed using my Leica.