Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux result???? Rolls Royce, anyone?
From: Pitak Chenkosol <pitakc@ee.pdx.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 17:42:07 -0800 (PST)

I heard a story about a gentleman who went to check out a Rolls Royce at
a dealer. After walking around and getting comfortable in the driver
seat then he asked :

Customer : How many horse power does this car have ?

Saleman  : (Very politely reply with a broad smile) Enough, Sir.

I guess if you have to ask a question like that maybe a Rolls is not
the car for you. The Noctilux, as it is, may not be the lens for everyone.
To me, I don't want it. I will buy it if I need it. It costs too much to
be sitting on the shelf if I go out shooting with its cousin (50mm/f2)
most of the time. I like to keep the long-term total cost of ownership low.
This depends on how often I use the lenses that I have. Of course, that is just
my opinion.

Regards,

PC

> robmueller wrote, in part:
>
> > Hey Dan,
> >
> > F1.0, let's see. $2900, can only use it at >f4. Hmmmm. Why would I want this
> > lens again? I'm not trying to be a smard A.., but something doesn't
> > correlate. I admit I know nothing of lens, so what are the advantages?
> >

> I guess it's like a Harley-Davisson.  If you need to ask the question,
> you'll never understand ;)
>
> Of course, the real reason for buying one would be to earn the undying
> respect of the LUG.  Which is the sad part, since it means I can never get
> one:  I'd have to forfeit my role as Chief Mischievous Imp if I did... ;)
>
> M.
>
> --
> Martin Howard                     | "Very funny Scotty.  Now beam down
> Interactive Systems Designer      | my clothes."
> email: mvhoward@mac.com           |

- --
Pitak Chenkosol, Dept. Electrical Eng.,|  " I was born not knowing and have
Portland State University,             |    only had a little time to change
P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR 97207-0751. |    that here and there."
E-mail: pitakc@ee.pdx.edu              |                Richard P. Feynman