Subject: Re: [Leica] Fuji building an M
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 18:12:18 -0500

Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter) wrote, in part:

> Naive?  No just stating facts.  How many people would buy a Leica M and use
> a Sigma lens?  None!
> On the reverse, how many would buy a Konica M body and use Leica lenses?
> Many!
> Hence you can deduce that the lens is the favorite option in the Leica M
> line, not the body.

Really?  How many lenses does Sigma make for the M cameras?  I'm personally
not aware of a single one.

Then again, how many people buy an M camera and then place a 15mm Heliar or
25mm Skopar on it?  Or maybe Cosina's 75mm?  How many complement their M
lenses with Nikon and Canon LTM lenses (sure, fewer, but it's certainly not
unheard of)?  Or how many buy a modern M6 or M6TTL and then use lenses from
the 60s?

Consequently, your sweeping statement that "the reason we [shorthand for
everyone] use the M is not the camera, it's the lenses..." is not wholly
accurate.  Yes, I agree that ONE of the reasons is the lenses (and not just
the latest generation either, but the whole range of lenses with their
varying qualities and personalities) but it is not the SOLE reason.

Are Leica owners old sticks in the mud who will stubbornly resist change at
every possible opportunity.  Possibly.  But a better way to prove us wrong
is to BUILD the better M rather than whine about it on the LUG...

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "Very funny Scotty.  Now beam down
Interactive Systems Designer      | my clothes."
email: mvhoward@mac.com           |