Subject: RE: [Leica] Noctilux result????
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 23:38:36 GMT

Rob, if you need f1.0 you don't really have many choices do you?  Other than
the Canon, which is a turd compared to the Noct I'd say the market is hardly
saturated..

This is like saying your formula 1 car doesn't perform well in stop and go
trafic...so it should not cost as much as a Honda Civic.  This is a lens for
specific, demanding uses, that can also be used day to day if you can put up
with the weight and size.  (Something you can not say about the Nikon 1.2 or
the Canon)  Also a note about price.  The cost of anything Leica is
ridiculous...I would hardly say that the Summilux at 1,800 is any bargin.  I
would frankly pay the extra 1000 to have the added capability.

I know many people will say that modern high speed films can make up for
slower lenses.  I have not found this to be the case.  A Noct at f 1.0 on
Delta 100 still looks a lot better than a Summicron does on any 400 speed
film I have shot.  Color print film takes this to another level entirely.  I
have yet to find a Color film faster than 200 asa that doesn't enlarge
poorly.

Dan