Subject: Re: [Leica] Load that thang
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 00:49:05 -0500

Mike Johnston wrote, in part:

> It really does spoil an otherwise quite delightful camera design. I'd
> love to see what a modern camera designer could do in terms of a
> thoughtful, premium update of the basic screwmount Leica design. Picture
> a Leica III with a swing-open back and about the functionality of a CLE.
> Wouldn't that be nice?

Not too sure about that.  Half the fun of using the LTMs is that they're
quirky little buggers.  The fault lies not so much with the camera design,
as it does with the idiot behind the lens who insisted on using it at 2 AM a
cold winter's night ;)

As for the functionality of the CLE, I certainly wouldn't want auto-exposure
(I'd never use it), flash is unnecessary when you can push Delta 3200 to
12,500 ASA, and adding an internal exposure meter would mean having to put
LEDs in the VF and, as anyone who has used one will testify, it's hard
enough trying to see anything through that miniscule piece of glass as it
is.

Personally, I think that if I wanted a III with a swing-out back and the
functionality of a CLE, I'd probably just buy a CLE.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "Very funny Scotty.  Now beam down
Interactive Systems Designer      | my clothes."
email: mvhoward@mac.com           |