Subject: [Leica] 1,000,001 fine points
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 08:56:50 +0000

> Gandy/Johnson have a million fine points for us about the problems of
the > M6 camera they don't own or use

Mark,
Were you referring to me?

I love the M6. Have owned and used two of them so far. It's both a great
camera and also a fine camera. It's just not quite as well-built as an
M4 or M3, that's all. It's a very minor point. It has to be argued
simply because some people are so argumentative about it. But it's
unwise to ascribe motivations to point-making in debate when the
motivations aren't there.

The issue is settled as far as I'm concerned. I've researched it among
experts and and satisfied myself of the correct answer. People who argue
otherwise are wrong.

And does it even matter? Not to me. Any given M6 owner could perhaps
shoot rings around any given M4 owner; or perhaps not; it doesn't depend
on the camera. And a great photographer could use a K1000 and shoot
rings around many M6 owners. A great photographer I know of, David Hurn
(whose epic project on Wales I am considering journeying to the UK to
see), most prefers Canon Rebels. Now, I don't think Canon Rebels are
great cameras or particularly fine, but I have no doubt that David Hurn
does better work with his Canon Rebels than most people do with M6s.

- --Mike JohnsTon (from "John's tun," a tun being a small freeholder's
farm, the name dating from the Scottish lowlands in the tenth century or
so, as distinct from the mainly English "Johnson" (John's son) and the
Scandinavian "Jonson" and "Jonsen."