Subject: Re: [Leica] Exposure for eclipse of moon ?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 06:44:59 -0800

Xavier wrote:
>Recently there was a discussion about the full moon of Dec 23rd,
>and exposition.
>
>Next Thursday there is an eclipse of moon, how would you expose ?>>>>>>

Hi Xavier,
............Very carefully!!! :):):):)

Sorry guys and gals I couldn't let it go by! ;)

Actually this will be a toughie, as the moon, although eclipsed by earth
and in shadow, will have a reddish glow due to sun rays as they bend around
earth and give glow to the moon. In other words a "sort of fill flash
effect for shadows!"

I guess it depends on what you want to shoot, long lens and as big a moon
as you can or see the moon in relationship to earth land - water mass in
the foreground.

(lets not get into technical aspects of size again! If you see it and it
looks big...just go and shoot it, to hell with the technical stuff
already.) :)

If it looks big or small on the finished slide who cares, that's life,
optics and eyeball brain relationship. Live with it.

The bottom line?  Use the fastest long lens you own or can rent, depending
on your pocket book. And particularly to the value of the assignment and
finished product. IE: professional being paid or amateur out for fun.

Given it's probably singular glowing reddish moon, I'd spot meter through
the lens, ((Or you use a hand spot meter) and a Leica 400 or longer and go
for the surrounded by jet black "red ball in the sky" look. Simply because
there wont be any moonlight reflected to earth as a normal full moon.  And
I'd  bracket a couple of stops or times in both directions. Remember, we're
moving, that's earth and so is the moon, so the longer the exposure the
more egg shape you'll have, rather than a nice round moon.

Now that's how I'd do it. However, as usual, there will be several methods
offered. I suggest you take the advice of a regular astro shooter, as
theirs will probably be more successful.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant