Subject: [Leica] seeing difference in lenses...
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:36:37 -0500

I can sometimes see a difference between my Leica images and my Canon
ones... and sometimes not.... it depends mostly on the direction of
lighting, contrast, amount of fine detail in an image and f/stop used...

It also depends largely upon the lens I'm comparing.... Some are easier to
identify than others... I know for example that several of my Canon lenses
have more veiling flare the comparable Leica ones...  Most of all it depends
on the size of the enlargement.... You are going to notice the extra detail
on 11x14 or 16x 20 that you won't notice on a 5x7...  but the slightest
subject movement or camera movement can blur that difference...

But it is based on different shots taken by myself of known subjects in more
or less the same setting or lighting or better yet  direct side by side
comparison...  If I'm looking at slides or negatives.... I can identify it
in a second... I always have more wasted space around my M-images than my
Canon ones....

I wouldn't presume to be able to do identify images taken by someone else of
different subjects and in different lighting... If I were making the
examples... I could certainly sway the results by picking out images that
would favor one over the other...

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador