Subject: RE: [Leica] Sometimes content triumphs
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:24:13 -0500

At 11:41 AM 1/18/00 -0800, you wrote:

>On the other hand, money rather than stuff makes a lot of sense for
>supporting a project like this.  They're doing a more than just photography
>with these kids (e.g. feeding them, providing support for their families,
>etc.) so it may make more sense to let them allocate the aid they receive so
>it will do the most good.

The way we work this for our medical clinics in Guatemala is to ask
pharmaceutical companies to donate whatever medicines are not available in
Guatemala and to take money to buy everything else there.  When we buy the
medicines in Guatemala that are available there, it also helps out the
Guatemalan economy.  After trying to carry down everyone's donations of
Tylenol and old prescriptions, we decided it makes much more sense to just
ask for money!  It's very portable and much easier to get through
customs.  On the other hand, if someone has some cameras or film lying
around that they aren't using, I'm sure the project would be happy to
accept them.  I'd be glad to try to take a crate down when I go in
June.  We have to declare that everything we take has no resale value to
get it through customs.  I hope to be able to look up the project while I
am there anyway.

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP