Subject: Re: [Leica] Say, about that Heliar 15mm . . .
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 15:30:57 -0500

I migrated to the Heliar from the 20/5.6 Russar,which I used for street
shooting--numerous examples on my website.  The Russar can't compete with
the 21/2.8 Biogon that I later acquired for the G2, so I sold it on eBay,
and bought the Heliar.  I use it on a IIIF usually.  To my mind, it's the
ultimate 'environmental' focal length. The perspective's tricky, but one
grows accustomed to it with practice.  The downside, of course, is that
even with the comparatively fast aperture of 4.5, it's not that useful
indoors, unless, I suppose, one wants to use really fast emulsions.  I've
decided to standardize on a single film (T400CN) for awhile, so I use the
lens outdoors or (heresy!)  indoors on a Tiltall.

CHandos

At 02:29 PM 1/17/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>So, you Heliar users . . . what do you DO with a lens that wide? Has it
>opened your eyes? Made you see in a different way? Given you new, unexplored
>capabilities? Has it made a difference in your photography in a "don't leave
>home without it" sort of way. In other words (and here's the stupid
>question), "should I buy this lens?"

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown