Subject: [Leica] Mike's new religion
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 12:16:58 +0100

Mike J wrote in part:
" ...Or, in other words, you know full well that you cannot tell a print
>  made with a Leica lens from a print made with a Pentax lens. And you are
>  absolutely correct in that assumption, I believe.
>
>  Any other response would have made me very surprised. Any lens expert
>  knows that you cannot tell one brand of lens from another based only on
>  real-world results"

Well Mike: yours is a fine example of semantic armtwisting and
logical juggling. I said that your test is flawed, not in principle
but in execution. Your inference that by stating this I do
acknowledge that I do know that it is impossible to identify prints
made with a certain camera/lens combination is  a strong leap of your
imagination. And not justified I am afraid to say.  Your  gauntlet
test is set up to prove a hypothesis, that is what every test tries
to do. Now simple and time honored test procedures that are conducted
all over the world, give you the rules. Any test should be done in
such a way that only the variable you have identified as proving the
hypothesis should be the real and only variable. All other
influencing factors need to be kept constant or under control.
Secondly a control group with a placebo environment need to set up to
ascertain the validity of your setup. And most importantly: the
person designing the test should predict before the start of the test
what results are required to prove or disprove the hypothesis. This
prediction has not been published, making the test a -see-I-told-you-
exercise.
The most misleading of your setup is the generality of your
hypothesis, that is: "you cannot tell a print
made with a brand X lens from a print made with a brand Y lens". That
is you assume that a picture made with a 180mm lens at f/2 of brand X
cannot be told apart from a print made with a 35mm lens at f/8 of
brand Y? Your only selection criterium is the sharpness criterium
which is as subjective as can be.  This is a most unrealistic
assertion and shows that you are not really focused on a true and
meaningful test. Your mind is already made up: yours is not  an
interesting hypothesis, but already a statement of fact as you have
said above in the quote. Now it is very easy to conduct a session
that will prove you "right".  Show a group of persons ten prints
selected by the one who wants to prove himself right, include three
pictures made with brand X equipment  among the ten and here we go:
if 25% of guesses by the group of test persons correctly identifies
the brand X picture is your hypothesis OK. Or do we need 53% to make
the test meaningful. How big is the mere statistical chance that x%
will at random select the correct print?
I am amazed, Mike, that you go to these lengths just to 'prove' your
point which is unprovable to start with. I did on purpose refer to
the "angels on a pin" discussion. When we are talking religion and
that is what you are doing all arguments and facts are futile. What
you want to get is support  for your own belief system and values.
Which is fine with me. But I graciously decline to be converted to
your religious beliefs.
Your second statement ("Any lens expert knows that you cannot tell
one brand of lens from another based only on real-world results") is
again one of those sentences that look charmingly convincing but are
basically non substantive, like this one: "any political forecasting
expert knows that you cannot tell which candidate for president will
win the election based only on real-world results".Well it is the
charm of any attractive religion that people can repeat mantras that
are simple to remember and evoke the impression of deep significance.
Our language is a powerful instrument is it not?

Erwin