Subject: [Leica] 35mm/f1.4 Summilux-R : I like what I saw.
From: Pitak Chenkosol <pitakc@ee.pdx.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 18:47:39 -0800 (PST)

Dear LUGGERS,

I got slides that I shot with 35mm/f1.4 Summilux-R back from a local lab.
I like the results. At full aperture the pictures show softness over the
whole scene. It's almost like I put some kind of soften filter on but I didn't.
It looks almost like it glows. Is this common ? When stopped down more
the contrast and sharpness improve.

Overall, this is a fun lens to use and I am still exploring how to use it
to its full potential. Focusing with the original split-screen on an R6.2
is quite tricky especially on the far away subject and low light situations.
Any tips on how to improve the focusing under mentioned conditions will be
appreciated. I search the LUG message archive and got an impression that
a uniform ground glass focusing screen might help. I thought that the screen
will help if I use a long focal length lens but probably not much so for
a shorter focal length lens like the 35mm. Am I correct?

Regards,

Pitak

- --
Pitak Chenkosol, Dept. Electrical Eng.,|  " I was born not knowing and have
Portland State University,             |    only had a little time to change
P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR 97207-0751. |    that here and there."
E-mail: pitakc@ee.pdx.edu              |                Richard P. Feynman