Subject: [Leica] Re: Bessa-R - more picture details
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 16:41:35 -0800

Someone posted this web page address to me last week. It shows a number
of detail photos of the Bessa-R, which I think is a more attractive
camera than the Yasuhara. <
http://www.cameraguild.co.jp/hospital/MAIN/B/001.html >

The viewfinder will display frames for 35, 50, 75 and 90mm lenses. Since
35 and 90mm are the same setting on the selector (implying paired
frames), I'd be willing to bet that it's NOT a variable focal length
viewfinder and that it's magnification is likely around .70x or so,
judging from the size of the optics and eyepiece.

Frankly, I'm excited by this camera. It is a welcome offering of a
simple, quality, interchangeable lens RF camera at an affordable price. I
love my M6 because that's what it is, all but the affordable price. I
don't want auto exposure or motor transport, I don't need the extra
accuracy of an electronic shutter. TTL flash metering is nice but I've
only taken two exposures with a flash with my M6 so far anyway. A simple,
well made, useful RF camera with three lenses is enough for my needs, and
the Bessa-R looks like it would provide that easily, and the complete kit
would cost around $1600 vs the Leica M's $4800.

I already have my Leica M kit so I really don't need it, but I have
several friends who would love to get back into an RF camera but can't
hack the bux for a Leica kit. The Bessa-R looks like it will ideal for
them.

Godfrey