Subject: [Leica] now: 10 year spares (German law)
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 21:30:19 +0100

 I do know that German law stipulates that for
>every product that is discontinued the manufacturer needs to hold
>spares to repair the product for a period of 10 years after
>discontinuing it. So I do assume that Leica has assured enough parts
>or at least repair strategies to support older camera models.
>
>Erwin

Two years ago, my then three year old Vaillant  central heating system went
bust and could not be repaired because of lack of spares. In the end
Vaillant gave me a new  current model unit for free, but I do not think it
was because of a German law. It was a long fight and I won it probably
becase they were on the last leg to get a semi official quality seal and my
story could have torpedoed them getting it. Still I would be intrested to
know the name of the law.  Might come handy some time. What are the
penalties for breaking that law? Who goes to jail?

Chris