Subject: Re: [Leica] 19mm/f2.8 Elmarit-R. How to tell the difference between the old and current design ?
From: Leon Davenport <leonjdav@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 12:26:27 -0800

Call Leica Camera USA headquarters in New Jersey.  I had a variety of older
Leica lenses that I wanted to find out when they were made.  I talked to
someone in service and he was nice enough to look up the serial numbers of
all of my lenses.  The number is 1-800-222-0118.

According to a table from the Brian Bower's book Leica Refelex Photography
the old style takes E 82 filters and has a minimum aperture of f/16.  The
new one has built in filters and stops down to f/22.

You are correct.  Leica can install the ROM contacts in many of their
lenses.  I had two made in the 1970's that the rom contact were available.

Leon.