Subject: [Leica] was:Please now Midland.
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 10:31:19 -0800

Mike Johnston wrote:

>To change the subject a bit, here's an interesting tidbit I learned from
>the Elcan press packet I requested: when Leitz was considering different
>Canadian towns as the location of Ernst Leitz Canada in the '50s, the
>two finalists were Midland and a town called Smiths Falls. One of the
>reasons why Midland was chosen was because "Midland" has the same number
>of letters as "Wetzlar," meaning that no change would have to be made in
>the size or location of the engravings on the lenses.>>>>

Hi Mike,

They also chose Midland for it's land location.

Midland and Wtzlar are very similar in size, located in forested rural type
area, quiet with a no rush life style. Even though Leitz brought a number
of staff from Germany and others emmigrated to Canada knowing they'd have a
job on arrival. Midland was a good source of hard working folks and quite a
number were hired.

Although it's my understanding, "Midland - Wetzlar" meaning "no change to
be made in the size or location of the engravings" was the main reason for
selecting Midland.

"a town called Smiths Falls!"  Not a bad little place to visit, but who'd
want to live there! :)  And I don't think it and the surronding area was
conducive to the German image of outdoors hiking like many do in Germany.

Just a little aside note to your post. :)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant