Subject: Re: [Leica] A shop for secondhand in London
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 12:04:29 +0000

> Hi all!
>
> I am about to go to London and am wondering if any one here
> can tell me about the good places there to look for secondhand Leica stuff,
> especially the screw mount stuff.
>
> Regards,
>
> Elliot

The three shops in Pied Bull Yard near the British Museum are Jessops
Classic, The Classic Camera (Andrew Riley) and Museum Cameras. Jessops and
Museum carry the most interesting 2/h stuff. Between these three shops they
currently carry 3 85/2 lenses in LTM, for example, two Russian and one
Nikon, plus a whole stack of M and LTM bodies and lenses in various states.

Not too many bargains here (except those 85/2s!) though as they are very
collector oriented.

For much cheaper and, to me, friendlier establishments, try FFordes
(www.ffordes.co.uk) or a strange little shop on Camden High Street called
'Nicholas' (+44 020 7916 7251). You need to give the owner a call as he
keeps most of his stock off-premises, but he has some truly amazing stuff
ranging from 16mm Aaton cameras to whole b/w movie processing lines - as
well as the Leica stuff - tucked away.

Ffordes is one of my favourite camera shops in the world, though it's a bit
of a hike from London (about 40 miles).

Your best bet is to grab a copy of Amateur Photographer and check out the
classified ads, which carry lists of 2/h stock for most of the better
stores. Other good bets are Fieldgrass & Gal and MXV.

- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.cinematic.freeserve.co.uk
music:      http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk