Subject: RE: [Leica] Housekeeping: and the Cooke Amotal/M3
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 08:48:05 -0000

John,
Kind of you to remind me about this valuable resource, I enquired about a
recent lens I've acquired, it seems there was no response to a request
posted in '98. So I shall respond.

David,
Are you still logged on?
I recently bought myself a Cooke Amotal lens which being British has a
closer interest than most non-Leitz lenses. There is now a seperate web
site for Cooke lenses which are regarded in the movie industry as most
choice.(Expensive naturally) They list 35mm lenses but these are for motion
picture work and cover only a 30mm diameter.
My lens came with the original camera upon which it was sold. An RAF chap
training in Canada bought it in 1956 whilst there, intriguingly the camera
is a Canadian built model so is quite rare on that scale too (I believe one
can tell - apart from the records - by the larger 'M3' engraving on the top
plate.
Anyway, the lens looks in good condition but the iris ring is quite stiff,
ser # 299022. I've heard of none under 297500 and none over 299500 so if
you have one I'd be interested in hearing whetehr it lies outside this
range.
The lightweight (Italian?) mount is disparaged in Marc's book but seems
smooth and shiny on the base whilst it has dulled at the top where the iris
ring is, I suspect that the top part was manufactured in England and merely
the focusing mount was added elsewhere, especially as the engraving seems
different.
There is an interesting engraving inside the filter ring, before the ser.
#, which reads, 'ELC'. I can't think it stands for Ernst Leitz Canada, but
maybe 'Electron Beam Coating' perhaps, I don't know, any other thoughts?
The lens is a screw mount and as the package was sold complete came with a
Leitz 50mm LTM-M adapter mounted.
It seems a dinky little lens and should give some good results, I'll see
what they look like in a while.
Jem