Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Shutter Speed Dial
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:26:07 -0700

on 14/1/00 9:08 am, John Campbell at jkcampbell@mmm.com wrote:

> With all this interest in the special M6 models I finally went and took
> a look at the new "Millennium" model. The one thing that struck me as a
> vast improvement was the larger shutter speed dial. I've always had trouble
> turning the shutter dial while looking thru the viewfinder on my older M6.
>
> The M5 addressed this problem by putting the dial around the advance
> lever and letting it hang out over the edge of the body. I've never
> used an M5, but it seems as you would normally hold the camera the shutter
> dial would be right there under your index finger, making it very easy
> to adjust the speeds without taking your eye away from the viewfinder.
>
> The dial on the new M6 doesn't hang out over the edge of the body, but
> it at least comes close. Of course this started me thinking maybe I can
> put the new dial on my old M6! Comparing my old M6 and photos of the
> Millennium M6 and the M6TTL, not only is the dial larger, but the
> center of the dial appears to be more forward and closer the the rewind
> lever.
> How can this be? OK, my thought process is now kicking into overtime.
> On the older M series cameras the shutter dial is connected directly
> to the shaft of the shutter timing gears (yes I take my cameras apart
> all the time). Either the whole shutter timing system has moved or the
> new shutter dial is no longer connected directly tho the shaft but to
> something else and geared to the timing shaft. Or maybe its all just
> an optical illusion. Anyone got any answers? Maybe someone could "lend"
> me a "Millennium Special" I could take apart and see how it works. I
> promise to put it back together. Thanks jc

The Millennium special is based on the new M6 TTL (now has TTL flash
metering); if you look closely, you will notice that the speed dial now
turns the other way. In order to accommodate the desired larger speed dial
Leica had to move its position and couple it to the original shaft via a
gear train. They could have used an idler to maintain the same orientation
but they wanted to have the dial turn the same way as the R8. Now as to the
whys behind all this, I do not know.

John Collier