Subject: Re: [Leica] Didn't we "Bury You"?
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:16:15 EST

In a message dated 1/14/00 6:36:08 AM, michaeljohnston@ameritech.net writes:

>I think America would be a better place today if it had remained part of
>England for far longer, or even until now.

LOL . . . . England had control of the colonies for what? a little over 100
years and even today, some 200 years later, there seem to be people (on both
sides) who still hold a grudge about the whole deal (yes, I know the post
quoted above was in jest). It's pretty funny, actually. If there's one thing
you can pretty well generalize about Americans it's that they don't like
other people telling them what to do. The very idea that the "American
Spirit," such that it is, would tolerate intrusion from a small country half
a world away is pretty ludicrous. For better or worse, there's a lot more
than miles and an ocean that seperates Americans from Europeans. Maybe that's
why so few American photographers "get" Leicas. Maybe they just don't like
some German company imposing limits on them. But hey, they don't know what
they're missing. And while I'm on the subject, one of the things I like best
about the LUG is the multi-cultural aspect of it. I really enjoy reading the
views of people from other countries. It is so refreshing . . .

Bob (some of my best friends are Americans) McEowen