Subject: [Leica] Photographer of the Century
From: George Berger <gberger@his.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:43:22 -0500

There are many ways to judge the photographers who have been
mentioned. I'll offer one:

The Photographers of the Century  are those famous - - and unknown -
- - men and women who took their cameras and themselves directly into
Harm's Way to photograph the horrible impact of war on our armed
forces and the civilians who were caught in the ruthless crossfires.
The images that spread daily across our newspapers and magazines from
WWII, Korea, the two Israeli conflicts and Vietnam ( especially those
of the Marine at Da Nang) were caught by photographers who risked
their lives to record those conflicts. Many were either killed or
wounded. All had the basic guts and fortitude to capture the essence
of war. It's one thing to be a superb photographer. It's another to
willingly risk your life to record history

Just my two cents

George