Subject: [Leica] sailing & photography
From: thomas boehm <toboehm@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 03:03:08 -0800 (PST)

hello leica-friends,

as here in austrias mountains i'm more common with snow & rocks, maybe
some of you may help me and share theyre experiences.

in comming september, i have the great possibility to join with some
friends a sailboat-trip in the mediteranean sea from athens to rhodos for
two weeks. whe will be 6 people, the boat is about 11 m long; since i'm
young i'm very attracted by nice ships and marine things, but the only
photography of sailing i've done yet was while standing with both feet on
the earth... ;-) my friends (all much more experienced in sailing than me)
expect from me, that i will make nice and also some "dramatic" photographs
of this journey.

so what to think & worry about, when i do photography on a sailboat?

i think, a super-wide-angle will be very usefull for photographs on the
boat while sailing; i think also, that there will come nice pictures from
landscapes and available-light scenes at night with people in the
harbours;

do you recommend some special protection for the camera? i think,
salt-water is one of the worst enemies of cameras & lenses (also sand); is
there danger from small salt-water-particles "flying" in the strong wind?
i know about some special "plastic bags" like from ewa-marine for the
protection of cameras - are they really usefull? i think, it is maybe
uncomfortable to do photographs with a "plastic bag" arround the camera...
would it be better to use an older camera for the "wet stuff" instead of
my nice leica M6?

i welcome all suggestions from the "marine people"....

thanks and regards,
thomas böhm
imst, austria