Subject: Re: [Leica] What to bring to Hawaii
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 06:44:04 -0700

on 10/1/00 10:17 pm, ryuen@ix.netcom.com at ryuen@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> I'm planning a trip to Maui and Kauai this June, and I'm trying to
> decide what is more appropiate to bring on the trip. It will be either
> an M6 with 35mm and 50mm lens or a Canon EOS1n with a 28-70 and 70-200
> lens. I really don't want to be overloaded and burdened by heavy
> equipment, but on the other hand I want to make sure that I have enough
> coverage for more situations. I'm also thinking about adding either a
> 21mm or 90mm to the Leica package.

Forgive me as I feel I am stating the obvious but it has not been mention
thus far. Make sure you have a polarizing filter! Also remember the light is
very very harsh and sunrise and sunset are incredibly brief events compared
to what I assume you are used to. It is mostly high noon all day. When
shooting in the "golden" light shoot quickly as it will be gone very
quickly. I recently came back from the big island and brought two M bodies
with 21, 35, 50 and 90 lenses. The polarizing filter fit all except the 21
which I was carefully to only use in the "golden" seconds when shooting
scenics .  I also brought an underwater camera and in the water the fact
that the lighting is high noon all day is a great advantage! All the
security checks were very good about hand inspecting film in clear bags and
loaded cameras.  Oh and before I sign off a Table top tripod is very useful
especially at night in restaurants and on the street.

John Collier