Subject: Re: [Leica] What to bring to Hawaii
From: Xavier Logean <xavier.logean@epfl.ch>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:15:30 +0100

ryuen@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm planning a trip to Maui and Kauai this June, and I'm trying to
> decide what is more appropiate to bring on the trip. It will be either
> an M6 with 35mm and 50mm lens or a Canon EOS1n with a 28-70 and 70-200
> lens. I really don't want to be overloaded and burdened by heavy
> equipment, but on the other hand I want to make sure that I have enough
> coverage for more situations. I'm also thinking about adding either a
> 21mm or 90mm to the Leica package.
>
> TIA,
> -Ray

Hi Ray,

I was in Hawai last summer, on the Big Island.
I also have an EOS + lenses and M6 + lenses.
So I had the same "problem" than you.

Finally I took only my M6 gear, I still think it was
the right choice.
I had my M6 + 35 1.4 as +
50 2.8 + 90 2.8 +
25 voigtlander skopar (that I bought before the
trip with the help of a fellow lugger) +
135 4 (old elmar from the 60's)
all this gear fits in a small bag that you can carry everywhere.
( I almost never used the 135 mm in Hawaii.)

I don't know about your 28-70 and 70-200, but if they are the 2.8 L
they are a kind of big and heavy to carry everyday.
You might rent a car but you will also have to walk to
reach some interesting points.
I think you only need the 200 if you want to take pic
of surfing or windsurfing guys.

In your case I would consider buying a 21mm (or 15mm or 25 mm)
and a 90 mm.
Take a lot of slide films, Hawaii is ___incredible____
in the number of different landscapes.

Enjoy your trip,

Xavier.

P.S. you can contact me privately if you have questions.