Subject: RE: [Leica] tripod
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 15:57:50 -0500

George Berger wrote:

> We were taught to exhale, then "catch" your breathing by closing the
> throat. This gives a significant decrease in body fluctuations over
> the "take a breath and hold it" approach.
>
> Lagavulin *or* Talisker should be the whisky of choice < grin >.

	Several things, first a breath has two components, inhale then exhale, so
when I causually say 'take a breath and hold it' this means inhale, exhale,
stop which is what you are saying. Today I did take some under available
light (1/8-1/15 sec), and paid attention to exactly what I do: smoothly
Inhale, click, smoothly exhale, click, smoothly inhale click.... If i were
to slow down it would be smoothly inhale and exhale, pause, click, smoothly
inhale and exhale, pause, click.

	I don't close my throat, this causes the body to tense up. I just stop
breathing.

	Again, this is much less important than what your hands are doing. Relaxing
the hands and arms is of utmost importance. If you *try* to hold your hands
still and tense up, you get opposing muscle groups fighting each other, this
causes baaad tremor. Click by gently squeezing your fingers together, so as
to depress the shutter but not deflect the camera body. You can brace your
arms against your chest which probably works almost as well as using the
tabletop tripod.

	Time and time again, if the photos include people, the background looks
perfectly sharp but the subjects are blurred by their own motion. Most
people pause at the end of a movement to try to shoot just after a movement
ends (e.g. turn of the head, raise of the hand).
	The more relaxed you are the better it works.

Jonathan