Subject: [Leica] What price a mint Elmarit-M 28/2.8
From: Bill Caldwell <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 10:54:22 -0500

SNIP --

Johnny Deadman wrote:

> My local camera store just revealed they are trying to get rid of a 'new' M
> 28/2.8 which they've had for 5 years and haven't sold. Presumably it's
> non-Asph. They want to get rid of it... how much should I offer them?

SNIP --

Johnny,

In the U.S., a mint f/2.8 28mm Elmarit-M (Leica No. 11809) in the box
with soft leather case, and front and rear lens caps would sell for
about $1295.  A range for the 28mm Elmarit-M would be $1095 to $1295
(mint- to mint).  New in the box are listed at $1595 .  Personally, in
the circumstances you relate, I would go in the range of $1095 - $1195
and not be embarrassed.

Does the store have the viewfinder (Leica calls it the brilliant finder,
Nos.12017 or 12009, black plastic),and is it and a case a part of the
package? If so, and you want that accessory add $175 to $200.  It will
be easier to negotiate on the lens, if the store doesn't have the view
finder.

David Almy, who has already commented on the quality of the 28mm
Elmarit-M, I consider a lens connoisseur. So while I have the 28mm
Elmarit-M, I can only echo his earlier comments on the lens.

Just My Opinion,

Bill Caldwell
Northern Virginia
<sneeker@erols.com>