Subject: Re: [Leica] 15mm M & 25mm SM !
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 15:09:35 -0800

>Hi folks,
>
>Recently, through LUGGER Joseph Yao of Hong Kong, I acquired for my M6 a
>Heliar 15mm and viewfinder. Whew, what a revelation in seeing and shooting.
>The 15 on an R is a special, but it's something else on the M6...
>
>ted

after some hemming and hawing, i recently picked up the 25mm skopar for my
iiif. i wanted something wider than a 35 - something compact and not too
expensive - to grab quick shots whilst out and about. i've just finished
off my first roll and haven't had it processed yet, so can't yet commment
on the quality of the images produced by the lens, but can just offer a
sort of preliminary 'YEAH!' in response to the apparent material quality of
this lens, and how good it feels (and looks) on a screw mount leica.

i must admit that inability to focus through the rangefinder bothers me a
bit, but i'm getting used to it - after all, it is kind of liberating to
just set depth of field and shoot away, a technique i've been using more
and more with the elmar 50/3.5 that came with the camera when i bought it,
since i'm not able to focus and shoot quickly with the tiny viewfinder of
the iiif. i'm curious how sharp the shots i focused 'by distance' will be -
we'll see (no pun intended).

the finder included with the lens is also a marvel - easily as good as if
not better than the finder that i purchased (for $275.!) with the 24mm
elmarit m: it's crystal clear, unexpectedly bright and feels sturdy enough.
it shows no more distorsion (actually, it seems a bit less) than the leica
24mm finder. all in all, i'm more than happy with this lens as a wide angle
lens for the iiif (though i still feel tiny pangs of regret at not finding
an affordable sumarron or nikkor sm 28mm), and look forward to seeing what
kind of images i'll get out of it.

i'll report back once i've seen the negs.

yo, as it were.

guy