Subject: Re: [Leica] what 6x9 cm folding camera to buy?
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 16:20:25 -0700

Jeff Moore wrote:

> I really like my Mamiya 7 -- as a thing of its type -- but with 20/20
> hindsight I now realize I don't use it *nearly* enough to justify its
> stiff price.

I used to use a Mamiya Six a lot but made the mistake of using slower
films and a tripod too often and eventually saw no point in using an RF
instead of an SLR. But at the time, I hadn't experimented with Tmax 400
and Xtol which would've made the Mamiya much more of a handheld
available light camera. Even if the Tmax had been on the grainy side
(which it isn't) that's a big negative we're dealing with.

Subjectively, however, I found the Mamiya Six optics about as different
from my Leica and Zeiss glass as they could be, being more on the hard
and crispy side. With my 35 and 90 M Summicrons, I can work with very
shallow depth of field and still get something that looks good though
maybe a little soft. With the Mamiya, I had to be much more careful with
such compositions and even so, preferred deep depth of field and f/8 or
smaller.
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado