Subject: [Leica] What 6x9 Camera to Buy?
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 17:56:41 EST

Wow!  Way off topic, but notice how adroitly I'll get this thread back on
Leica.

I'm an old folder fanatic, and have had experience with many models.  If money
is no object, I'd suggest the "Leica of folders" (there, I did it), which
is the Voigtlander Bessa II with Heliar lens.  One in good working order
is about the finest quality folder that you can get, both in terms of
performance and finish.  That Voigtlander finish that other posters have
been raving about is present in this model as well.

An underrated 6x9 is the Agfa Record III.  Although it has an uncoupled
rangefinder, it also has a great coated Solinar lens in a Synchro-Compur
shutter.  It is unusual among 6x9 folders in that it has a built-in
accessory shoe.  Beware of light leaks in the bellows in any Agfa and of
the focus thread lubricant hardening into a thick green goo.  A good one
will set you back about 1/3rd the cost of a Bessa II w. Heliar.

A bit further down the list, I'd put the Zeiss Super Ikonta C and its
Soviet imitator the Moskva.  The Zeiss is well built, but I find it less
convenient in use than the Bessa II or the Agfa Record III.  Both the
Zeiss and the Moskva offer the advantage of multiple formats - the Moskva
can do 6x6 as well and many Super Ikonta Cs accept a 4.5x6 mask.  The
Zeiss will cost more than the Agfa Record III, the Moskva will cost less.

A real budget alternative would be an Ansco Viking with Pronto shutter and
Agnar f4.5 or 6.3 lens.  You'd be surprised at the quality of photos this
camera can deliver, and good examples can be picked up for less than $25.
If you just want to see what 6x9 folders are like, this would be something
worth using as an experiment.  The usual caveats about Agfa folders apply
to this camera as well.

Less compact, but more versatile, is the Graflex Century Graphic.  This
camera was designed to use 2x3 sheet film (sort of a Mini-Me to the 4x5
Speed Graphic), but comes with interchangable 6x9, 6x6 or 6x7 roll film
backs.  Many modern Mamiya backs will fit. You can also use a variety of
lenses on it, although the common Ektar in a Supermatic shutter (going up
to 1/800th) is all you'd usually need.  It is a wonderful lens.  The
Century Graphic offers ground glass AND rangefinder focussing too.  And
many of them come with grey leather bodies and burgundy bellows that are cool.
Easily the visual equal of any special edition M6. (He says, adroitly
bringing in Leicas again.)

Almost any vintage folder will need to have its focus adjusted.  But if it
is properly set up, you will notice the difference that a larger negative
can make, particularly beyond 8x10.

Hope that this is of some use.

Mark

Mark Langer