Subject: [Leica] ......... chromo film.......Diatribe 1:1 for 12 Minutes
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 12:07:48 -0500

I really like XP-2.  I think it gives a great negative with smooth tonal
gradations and about two stops latitude either way.  However, I have
recently discovered that while I can make wonderful silver prints from XP
negatives, that it does not scan as well as Tri-X for digital printing (at
least it does not scan as well on the system to which I had access).
However, that's just me.

You know, though, you have to try as many different films and media as
possible and decide what YOU like.  Film is cheap, its the cheapest
accessory you can get for your camera...use it lavishly, try it out and
decide for yourself what YOU like.  For my taste and work, you can't beat a
silver print on the coldest tone paper from a Tri-X negative.  But, believe
me, a lot of people just hate that look.

I would also avoid the "exclusively" or "almost exclusively" syndrome.  You
have probably seen a lot of yammering on this list lately about "this film
rules...that film sucks."  This is utter nonsense and is as useful as ethnic
stereotypes.  Each film has its own characteristics which can be exploited
to achieve a desired look for a particular image you have in mind at a given
moment.  My advice is to be familiar with as many films as you can and
choose the one that's right for what you see at that particular moment, not
to pick one film to use almost exclusively.  Especially not to pick one film
because you read about it on the LUG!  That is not to say that you shouldn't
have a favorite film, one you use more than others and the one to which you
turn when you don't know where to turn, but you should develop that favorite
from your experience, not everybody else's.

	Buzz Hausner