Subject: Re: [Leica] Technical Pan sharpness
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 08:08:55 -0800

Thomas Imst wrote:
> > I have a brick of Technical Pan in both 35mm and 120 in my fridge, and I
> > now
> > only use it with my tripod.
>
> who needs technical pan? is this the art of photography with a 35 camera?
>
> if one has the time and possibility to work with (and carry) a tripod
> and wants the superior image-quality for huge enlargements, than one can
> as well (i mean: much better) expose his negatives with a field-camera...
> every tool has its specific field of use.
>
> IMHO grain is not a handicap for excelent pictures.

Well, I did not say what tripod, right?  In my chest pocket, I have a Leica
table top tripod which gets used quite often.

While a large format, field camera can create beautiful photographs, one
must not dismiss the capability of Leica lenses and its small format.  The
amount of information that Leica lenses can resolve may well exceed that of
large format lenses, and the major critical differences between the large
and 35mm formats are left with the amount of information the film can
capture per frame, and the camera movements.

Technical Pan is our friend, though not a friend whom you would want all the
time.