Subject: Re: [Leica] Off with your Pedestal!
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 23:56:14 -0800

Jeff Moore wrote:

><Snip>  but
> for the most part his work just doesn't engage me.
>
> To take a potshot at another sacred cow:  I've  generally tended to
> find Ralph Gibson's work somehow, well, obvious and unnecessary.  I'm
> sure that's just another personal failing of mine.  ;-)
><Snip>

So what would the wink ;-) mean?
IF I had my own personal list of great photographers who I really don't think
are great I wouldn't not be so foolish as to name them?
I don't think it would do me any good to let the world know how dumb I am, what
my blind spots are.

Who on my Pedestal list would be so foolish as to hire me as their assistant,
let me load their camera?
Even I know there are times best to leave ones opinions to ones self.
There is something to be said about not leaving oneself wide open.

You want to take pot shots at great men and add a wink to the end.
Doesn't the wink mean it is NOT just a personal failing of yours but you really
think Ralph Gibson's work really IS obvious and unnecessary? Because it sure
reads like that.
The wink in my opinion just gets you in more trouble. It just reads as narrow
mindedly self congratulatingly patronizing.
It's a dumb enough thing to take pot shots at great men it's even worse to be
cagey about it in my opinion.
Mark Rabiner
The fact that I think that both Ralph Gibson and Ansel Adams are incredible
geniuses lacking little is of no consequence.
They would be even if I didn't think so.