Subject: Re: [Leica] Sensiometry
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 18:08:44 -0500

Stephen Alred wrote:

> 1) A proper film speed test (Calumet Photo will do the test for $US10)
> 2) A test for proper development time (Zone VIII)
> 3) A "Proper proof" : minimum exposure to yield maximum black through the
> film edge

OK, but what I'm looking for is really not a crafts book: I know of sources
if I want to learn the craft.  What I'm looking for is a source where I
can learn the *science* of photography.  It doesn't matter if the book
doesn't tell me how to use a densiometer, or how to calibrate my development
times, but it must tell me things like what density is; how it is
controlled (in the negative and the print); why different developers work
differently; what the relationship is between things like film speed,
contrast, grain; what "tonality" is and why some films processed in certain
ways seem to have more shades of grey than others; what exposure and
development affects in the print; stuff like that.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |    What boots up must come down.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |