Subject: RE: [Leica] 90mm/F 1.0 Lens for Leica M
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 12:41:42 -0500

John Collier wrote:

> The Canadian factory made glass for many specialty cameras, x-ray machines
> and what have you. They were quite often marked ELCAN for E. Leitz CANada.
> Generally these lenses are now offered without the cameras or devices for
> which they were intended. I would suspect that the 90f1.0 is optimized for
> the transmission of x-rays (what a rocket scientist I am) and
> would not be a
> good visible light lens; but, you could test to find out. That
> darn factory
> is still making this kind of stuff but was sold by Leica a while ago. I
> wouldn't pay much for such a curiousity.

	Asking an x-ray to bend in a glass lens is akin to expecting a plummeting
meteor to obey a right turn only sign on a country road!

	There are many x-ray digital imaging devices. The x-rays are transmitted
though part of a person. The person, in this case, is like a negative which
limits the transmitted density of x-rays (high energy photons), depending on
the density of the tissue. The photons strike an imaging plate which
fluoresces, emmitting visible light, at the points where the x-rays strike.
The fluorescent light is focussed by the lens on the much smaller digital
detector plate. Hence the higher the speed of the lens the less x-rays which
must be used. High speed in this case is a *good thing*.

	The problem with these lenses as you might expect is that they are not
easily corrected for distortion. We have measured the positional error at
the edges of a 22cm field to be in the range of 1mm once digitized. Using a
33 cm field the error rises to 1.5mm. When we employ a more laborious
technique of using an conventional film x-ray plate and then scanning in the
exposed film plate (i.e. 8x10 or 11x14) the linearity is perfect (<.2mm
error). My assumption is that the error is introduced as part of the fast
optics in the detector.

	I've considered mounting one of these to a Visoflex through a Bellows II.
Anyone tried this?

Jonathan Borden