Subject: [Leica]See Zoom VS Summicron photos
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 05:52:05 GMT

For those who may be interested in re-hashing the old zoom VS fixed focal
debate I offer you a set of comparison shots on the Leica Users
Community.

These shots were made on Tech Pan. A tripod was used and all settings were
comparable.

The lenses compared are the Current 50 Summicron R and the "new" Vario Elmar
F4.

Shots were taken at F8, and developed and enlarged identically.

Take a look at:http://content.communities.msn.com/Leicausers/PhotoAlbum

I must say I am impressed with the Vario.  Other than the barrel distortion
evident from 60-70mm, this lens performs equally with my fixed focal Leica
gear.  It surpasses the contrast of the current 50 R!

Take a look at the album listed as "Dan".

I have also updated a few of the other shots in the album so I hope you
enjoy.

Make sure to also check out some of the other great albums.  Some of the
members are really putting up great stuff!

Best Wishes,
Dan States