Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder or SLR?
From: "John Black" <jblack@ambio.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 18:02:05 -0500

I too have need for an SLR from time to time, i.e. macro and long lens work.
But the rangefinder camera (between 21 and 135mm) still accounts for 95% of
my shooting.  I own an R7 and R6.2 with 100/2.8 and 180/2.8.  Frankly, I've
not seen anything that I have used the R system for in the last 2-3 yrs that
my Viso III and 60/3.5 Elmar and 200/4 wouldn't do, even has TTL metering
(with M6).  Yeah, its clunky and cumbersome, but my pix look just as good if
not better than with the R cameras.  Remember, the original Leicaflex was
just a M3 with a Viso 3 permanently built-in.

It all comes down to preference, and mine is to use the Viso with all of
it's limitations because it's FUN.  Good thing I don't have to make a living
with it so fun is the object.  I even do windowlight portraits with a IIIf
with a Viso II and 125/2.5 Hektor wide open.  Can't get that effect with a
modern lens.

Remember, if you ain't a professional, it needs to be fun!

JB