Subject: Re: [Leica] Help me ressurect my grandfathers Leica
From: "John Black" <jblack@ambio.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 14:08:23 -0500

Garett:

Your early Leica camera is capable of great photographs but should be
checked out by a competent repair man.  I would recommend Don Goldberg at
DAG Camera repair  (608-838-4769) in McFarland, Wisc as a good place to
start.  It sounds like the shutter is just dry and the whole camera needs a
good cleaning and lubrication.  The 1/1000 speed on the shutter dial will
not completely seat and that is normal (has to do with the spacing of some
holes in a spindle).  The vulcanite (leather) can be replaced but is not
absolutely necessary for function. I would not try to worry with the flash
for the reasons you mentioned and that camera and bottom plate sync will not
work properly with a modern strobe.  If you decide to have it worked over,
be sure to send the lens with it so that the technician can clean and lube
it also.  This camera is not very valuable, especially with the condition
you relate so you may have to think hard about the cost of a CLA Clean, Lube
and Adjust) job.  There is no reason why it cannot take very good pictures
though but you will have to control all aspects of its functions since it is
a pure manual machine.  If you want DAGs address, reply off the list and I
will send it.

Good luck.

JB
jblack@ambio.net