Subject: [Leica] IIIa sync
From: "Peter Volle" <vidom@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 14:48:22 GMT

Hello,

It's known that many old LTM bodys were sent back to the factory for
upgrading. I own a 1938 IIIa with factory-added flash sync - as far as I
know, they did that in the early fifties. Does anybody know which parts of a
IIIa body Leitz actually changed when they added flash sync on that camera?
I's quite obvious that - besides adding the sync terminal - they changed the
RF-housing (at least the engraving on top of it is not what it was in 1938),
the high speed shutter dial (looks like the one on the IIIf) and added a
sync dial (with black numbers). What exactly did they do to the shutter? Are
there any other internal changes? Is the correct setting for an electronic
flash the same as with a black dial IIIf (1/30 at setting #2 on the sync
dial if I'm right)?

Thanks!

Peter Volle

end